Do you love the taste of cream cheese? How about pond cake? If you’ve shouted “YES!” to even one of those questions, hold on to your seat cause I think I’ve got a recipe you’ll love! A rich, cream cheese flavored pound cake, moist and scrumptious! You won’t be able to resist this Classic Southern Treat!
This Classic Southern Pound Cake is quite simple to make. Just combine the cream cheese, butter, and sugar, then add the eggs, milk, and dry ingredients, pan, bake, and done! Prepping this cake will take 20 minutes, and the bake time is 80-90 minutes. Quite a long wait, I know, but trust me, perfection takes time.
This pound cake is easy to prepare, won’t cost much to make and it’s so very yummy! The pound cake has been around since the 1700s and gets its name from the original recipe, which had a pound of flour, sugar, butter, and eggs. That recipe yielded less than wonderful results.
Luckily, thanks to countless chefs’ ingenuity, the recipe was perfected, resulting in this tasty cake and countless other variations.
How To Serve Southern Pound Cake?
This Southern sweet treat is best warm or at room temperature; eat it plain or top it with some rich and creamy whipped cream, caramel sauce, or have it next to a scoop of ice cream. This cake is ideal for most if not all occasions, formal or casual!
You can get at least 12 servings of decadent pound cake from this one recipe. You can take this southern pound cake with you on a picnic or have it after dinner with your family. Share this toothsome treat with your loved ones and watch them light up with excitement!
Electric Mixer– Use either a stand mixer or hand mixer.
Bowls– You will need about 2 bowls to separate and mix the ingredients.
Bundt Pan– Use a 10-inch bundt pan to bake the cake. You can also use s tube pan of the same size.
Wooden Spoon– Use a regular wooden spoon to combine the dry ingredients.
Rubber Spatula– Use this or a silicone spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl.
All-Purpose Flour– I used 3 cups of Bob’s Red Mills AP flour to make the cake, but you can use whichever brand you prefer.
Eggs– For this recipe, I used 3 large eggs and 2 large yolks. These must be at room temperature.
Cream Cheese– I used 3/4 cup of cream cheese to make the cake; room temperature cream cheese is best for this recipe.
Half & Half– If you don’t have any of this, you can make a substitute with a mixture of equal parts whole milk and heavy cream.
White Sugar– If you’re short on white sugar, use either brown sugar or superfine sugar in an equal amount as a substitute.
All The Ingredients
- Flour– Combined with the salt
- Salt– Enhances the flavor of the cake.
- Sugar– Beaten with cream cheese and butter.
- Butter– Contributes to the taste and texture of the pound cake.
- Eggs– Added to the creamed mixture.
- Cream Cheese– gives a rich flavor to the pound cake.
- Vanilla– added to the cake batter with the milk and egg yolks.
- Half & Half– Gives moisture and a rich flavor to the cake.
How To Make Southern Pound Cake
- Heat your oven to 300 degrees with the rack in the center, then prep a 10-inch bundt pan with a light coat of cooking spray and flour.
- Cream the butter, cream cheese, and sugar in an electric mixer on a medium-high speed until light in color and fluffy in texture. Creaming will take about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the eggs one by one, beat each egg until blended evenly before adding another.
- Beat in the half and half, vanilla, and egg yolks just until combined.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together and add them to the egg mixture in 3 parts at low speed. Blend each addition properly before adding the next. Scrape the bowl and mix as needed.
- Use a large spoon to place the batter into the baking pan, then tap the pan on the counter lightly to remove any air bubbles in the batter.
- Bake for 80-90 minutes in the preheated oven until golden in color or until a wooden pick to the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a metal rack and allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing it and cool for 2hours before serving.
Remove The Air Bubbles
After spooning all of the cake batters into the bundt pan, I lifted the pan and light it tapped it on the counter to fill any air pockets in the batter. Why? If you ignore this step, once the cake is baked and cut into it, there will be many holes inside.
Checking The Cake For Doneness
Once the cake has baked for about 80 minutes(1hr 20mins), I used a wooden pick to pierce the cake center to check for doneness. If it comes out dry, the cake is ready; if not, pop it back into the oven for another 10 minutes. You can also check if the cake is baked by gently pressing the center of the cake with a finger; if it springs back, your cake is good to go!
How To Store Southern Pound Cake
You can keep this pound cake at room temperature between 4-5 days in an airtight cake container. If you want to store it for longer, wrap it in either foil or plastic, refrigerate for up to a week. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months when wrapped in plastic and stored in a freezer bag.
This mouthwatering cake is so eye-catching and delicious; it’s a welcomed sight at any table and on any occasion. You can bring it with you to a potluck and share with friends, present it at a birthday party, or have it as your decadent indulgence; sharing is overrated anyway! I’m kidding
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter (unsalted)
- 4 large eggs (room temp)
- 3/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 egg yolks (room temp)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Set the oven to 300°F or 150°C.
- Position the oven rack in the center then grease and lightly flour a 10 Bundt pan.
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and cream cheese on medium-high speed for 5-6 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until each is incorporated before adding the next. Mix in the half & half, egg yolks, and vanilla on low speed just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt then add it to the wet ingredients in thirds on low speed until blended. Ensure to scrape the sides of the bowl between additions to incorporate unmixed ingredients
- Using a large spoon, transfer the batter to the prepared pan then lightly tap on the counter to release any air bubbles present.
- Bake the cake for 80-90 minutes (1 hr 20mins- 1 hr 30mins) until the cake is golden brown in color and a toothpick to the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake inside the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove it and return to the wire rack to cool for 2 hours.
- Slice and serve.