This smooth and creamy gravy is rich with chocolaty goodness! This thick gravy is every chocolate lover’s dream, and it’s even better when paired with tender biscuits for breakfast. So don’t be shy; give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments.
Making this Chocolate Gravy was so easy that I can confidently say that even a beginner could do it. This recipe takes just a mere 5 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook, making it a quick and delicious addition to your warm and buttery biscuits.
What Makes Chocolate Gravy & Biscuits Special?
The delicious combination of the chocolaty gravy and biscuits is a match made in food heaven. The soft and buttery taste of the biscuits pair so well with the creamy chocolate gravy; you can’t help but smile when you taste it.
How To Serve
This gravy tastes best warm and drizzled on a biscuit. You can also have it on donuts or waffles for breakfast or use it as a dip for your churros. Pair it with a dollop of whipped cream and chopped nuts for an even tastier flavor and texture combination.
This chocolate gravy recipe will yield 10 servings; that’s enough to enjoy a snack with a couple of your friends, share with the family, or accommodate guests for brunch and dessert. If this serving size isn’t enough, increase the recipe to suit your needs.
Bowl– You’ll only need one bowl to combine the ingredients.
Pot– Use a medium non-stick saucepan to make the gravy.
Wooden Spoon– Use a regular wooden spoon to stir the ingredients
Whisk– Use this to combine the ingredients for the gravy and prevent lumps from forming.
Flour– We used 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour as a thickening agent for the gravy.
Cocoa Powder– I used Hersey’s brand of unsweetened cocoa powder for the recipe as I like the flavor. However, feel free to use the brand that you prefer.
Sugar– I used 3/4 cup white sugar for the recipe, but if you don’t have any, an equivalent amount of brown sugar will do the trick.
Milk– Fresh out of milk? Just use diluted evaporated milk as a sub. Mix one part evaporated milk and one part water and use in place of the milk.
All The Ingredients
- Flour– Mixed with salt, cocoa, and sugar.
- Cocoa Powder– Used as the main flavor in the gravy.
- Salt– Gives the chocolate gravy a boost of flavor.
- Sugar– Sweetens the chocolate mixture.
- Milk– Adds a rich and creamy taste and texture to the gravy.
- Vanilla-Added to the hot chocolate gravy for flavor.
- Butter– Stirred into the chocolate gravy with vanilla.
How To Make Chocolate Gravy
- In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the milk until combined and lump-free.
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook while stirring continuously for 8-10 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the stove and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Using a spoon, pour some of the chocolate gravy over some warm biscuits and enjoy.
Combine The Dry Ingredients
When making the chocolate gravy, the first thing I did was combine the dry ingredients until well blended. This step ensured that all the ingredients were evenly distributed throughout the dry mixture and prevented lumps from forming.
To make the chocolate gravy, I combined the ingredients and cooked the mixture on the stove until it thickened; this was a straightforward process. However, if you need to get this done a little faster, you can make the gravy in the microwave.
Just combine all the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl using a whisk and microwave the mixture on high for 15-30 seconds at a time for about 5 minutes. Whisk the chocolate mixture at each interval until the gravy thickens, then serve.
How To Store Chocolate Gravy
If you made this gravy and have some leftover or made it in advance and need to store it until you’re ready for it, here’s how you do it! To keep in the fridge, place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it in zip-lock bags for up to 2 months.
Chocolate gravy and biscuits take tasty to whole new heights! You can have this for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner (I don’t judge), drizzle with some sweet caramel and delicious whipped cream, and these chocolate-covered biscuits will be the Bomb.com!
- 3 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs butter (softened)
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and sugar in a medium-sized bowl until blended, then stir in the milk.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a saucepan over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes while constantly stirring until it thickens into a gravy consistency.
- Remove the chocolate gravy from the heat and mix in the butter and vanilla.
- Drizzle on top of warm biscuits and enjoy.