Creamy, tangy, cheesy rice cooked and seasoned with delicious spices then baked to mouthwatering perfection, get ready for a tasty side that will make you forget about the main dish sitting next to it. This baked rice is 50 % rich, 50% creamy, and 100 % delicious!
This dish is very easy to make; half the process is cooking the rice. Just combine the cooked rice with the spices, place it in the prepped dish, and bake! It doesn’t get much easier than that, and the whole process takes just under an hour.
What Makes Sour Cream Rice Special?
A couple of things that I really like about this recipe are firstly the ingredients. They’re inexpensive, easy to come by, and make one mean side dish when combined! The second is how easy it is to make, and the cleanup is a breeze as I only used the pot and baking dish.
How To Serve Sour Cream Rice
This delicious baked rice is best served piping hot and straight out of the oven, be careful not to burn yourself. This side goes great with just about any meat dish you can fathom. Whether you eat it with chicken, pork, beef, or seafood, your taste buds will tingle with delight!
From this recipe, you will get 6 servings of cheesy sour cream rice. It’s great for dinner with the family or a meal with friends; you can also increase this yield to accommodate guests at a small celebratory get-together.
Pot– To cook the rice, I used a large pot (with a lid). You
Wooden Spoon– Used a regular wooden spoon to stir the ingredients together
Baking Dish– For this recipe, you can use an 8×8 casserole dish or an oven-safe dish of the same size to bake the rice.
Rice– You can use whichever brand or type of rice you like; I used Jasmine rice.
Corn– I used 2 cups of canned corn. You can use fresh corn if that’s what you prefer.
Chilies– I dice up about one-fourth cup of green chilies for the recipe; use what you prefer or exclude it if you want to.
Monterey Cheese– Don’t have any of this cheese? No need to worry; you can use either Muenster cheese, Havarti cheese, or Gouda cheese in an equal amount to replace it.
Chicken Broth– If you don’t have any chicken broth on hand, use a mixture of 2 chicken bouillon cubes and 2 cups of water in its place.
All The Ingredients
- Rice– Cooked in the chicken broth.
- Chicken Broth– Combined with the rice and cooked.
- Sour Cream– Mixed into the cooked rice.
- Green Chilies– Diced and mix into the rice.
- Canned Corn– Drained and used in the rice mixture.
- Monterey Jack Cheese– Stirred in the rice and used to top it also.
- Salt– Adds flavor to the rice mixture.
- Cilantro– Chopped and used in flavoring the rice mixture.
How We Made Sour Cream Rice
- We set the oven to 350 degrees.
- We added both the rice and chicken broth on the stove in a large pot and brought it to a boil, and covered the pot.
- We reduced the heat to low and allowed it to simmer for 20 minutes, after which I coated the 8×8 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- After we cooked the rice, we removed it from the heat and stirred in the sour cream, corn, cilantro, diced chilies, and 1/2 cup of cheese until thoroughly combined.
- We mix in the salt last, poured the mixture into the greased dish, and then sprinkled the other 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
- We baked it for about half an hour until the cheese was a beautiful golden brown color.
- We served it immediately.
Cook The Rice
Once I had brought the rice and broth to a boil, I covered the pot with the lid and allowed it to simmer until the rice cooked. Why? I did this to allow the excess water time to evaporate, as the rice would’ve been too soft and watery otherwise.
Grease The Baking Dish
To prevent the sour cream from sticking to the casserole dish, I sprayed a nonstick cooking spray coat on the dish’s interior. Doing this made it easier to remove the rice without having to scrape it out. Don’t like cooking spray? Just use either butter, olive oil, or lard as a substitute.
How To Store Sour Cream Rice
To store this delicious rice, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for 1-2 days maximum. If you want to keep it for longer? Place it in the same kind of container or a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. With storage options like these, sour cream rice is great for making ahead of time.
This moist and delicious side dish will be a family favorite in no time! It’s so easy to make; even a beginner cook could pull it off with praising reviews, it sores well, and the taste is just heavenly! Pair it with your favorite meat dishes, and your dinner will be a mouthwatering experience.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth (14-ounce can)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chilies (diced)
- 2 cups can corn
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Set the oven to 350°F or 180°C
- Place the chicken broth and rice in a large uncovered pot, bring them to a boil, and then cover the pot and lower the heat. Allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Coat an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. Once the rice is cooked, transfer to a cool burner, stir in the remaining ingredients (except the salt & 1/2 cup of the cheese), and combine.
- Mix in the salt last, pour the seasoned rice mixture into the baking dish, and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbling.
- Serve hot.