Do you need something delicious to add to your Sunday supper? Something quick and easy to prepare that everyone will love? Then this hearty Potato Salad is just what you need! Serve this to your family, and there’ll be no leftovers to speak of!
For a salad this delicious, it might come as a shock how simple it is to make. You’ll start by boiling the potatoes, skin, and chop them, then combine with the other ingredients and chill. Yes, it’s that simple! With just 35 minutes of prepping and cooking time, this recipe is perfect if you’re in a hurry.
What Makes This Potato Salad Special?
This salad is budget-friendly, delicious, and filling! The ingredients are low-cost, so this dish makes a great side dish. The combination of spices come together in an orchestra of drool-inducing flavor, and best of all, this potato salad is rich in fiber which will keep you feeling fuller for longer.
How To Serve Potato Salad
You can serve this potato salad chilled (though I don’t mind it warm), enjoy it as is, or top it with some bacon and cheese for a 1 bowl meal. You can also have this hearty salad as a side dish with your holiday or Sunday dinner!
From this recipe, you will get 10 servings of potato salad. With that much, you can make this delicious side dish for a potluck or picnic, give this salad to your new neighbor, and they’ll be pleasantly surprised. Regardless of where you serve this tasty salad, it’ll be a crowd favorite!
Pot– Use a deep medium-sized pot with a lid to cook the potatoes.
Bowls– Only 2 mixing bowls are needed, one small and one large.
Colander– Use a regular colander to drain the potatoes. Metal or plastic is fine.
Knife– Use this to cut the potatoes into pieces.
Wooden Spoon– I used this to stir the ingredients together.
Main Ingredients Of This Dish
Potatoes– I used 3 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes as they hold their shape even after boiling. You can also use Yellow Finn or Red Potatoes.
Eggs– I used 4 hard-boiled eggs in the recipe.
Sweet Pickled Relish– If you don’t have any sweet pickle relish or you don’t like the taste, you can substitute it with dill pickle relish instead. Just use an equal amount in the recipe.
Yellow Mustard– Don’t wanna use yellow mustard? No worries, Dijon mustard works great as a replacement.
All The Ingredients
- Potatoes– Boiled, skinned, and chopped.
- Onion– Diced and combined with potatoes and celery.
- Celery Stalk– Diced and mixed into the potato salad.
- Eggs– Hard-boiled, diced, and folded into the season potatoes.
- Mayonnaise– Combined with the other dressing ingredients.
- Relish– Adds a tart flavor and crunchy texture to the potato salad.
- Celery Salt– Used to season the dressing for the salad.
- Salt– Used to enhance the taste of the dressing.
- Black Pepper– Adds spice to the salad.
- Paprika– Added as a garnish to the potato salad.
How To Make Potato Salad
- Using a deep pot, cover the unpeeled potatoes in water and cook over high heat until it starts to boil.
- Turn down to medium heat and continue boiling for 20-25 minutes until a fork goes through easily.
- Use a colander to drain off the hot water and rinse the potatoes in cold water until cool.
- Carefully remove the skin from the potatoes and chop into small pieces.
- Gently mix the potatoes with the onions, celery then season with salt and toss to combine.
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, pepper, celery salt, and pickle relish in a small mixing bowl, add to the seasoned potatoes, and gently incorporate it.
- Fold the chopped eggs into the salad, then season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Top with paprika and refrigerate for at least 60 minutes or until ready to serve.
Rinse The Potatoes
After boiling the potatoes to tenderness, I immediately poured off the hot water and rinsed them under cold water. This process achieved two things; first, it cooled the potatoes and stopped the cooking process, and secondly, it helped to rinse off the extra starch from the potatoes.
The Alternate Way
To make this salad, I boiled the potatoes until tender, then remove the skin and chopped them into pieces before combining them with the remaining ingredients. Another way to make this dish is to peel and cut the potatoes into cubes, boil them, drain the water, and combine with spices and the homemade dressing.
How To Store Potato Salad
To store the leftovers of this delicious potato dish, refrigerate or freeze it. To keep it in the fridge, place the leftovers in an airtight storage dish for about 2-4 days. To freeze, place in a resealable bag, release as much air as possible, then freeze for up to 3 months.
Tasty potatoes cooked until tender, seasoned to perfection with spices, and combine with a rich and creamy dressing and boiled eggs. This hearty salad can be eaten as a meal or as a side with your favorite meat dishes. It is quick to make, low-cost, and filling!
- 6 cups Yukon Gold potatoes (3 lbs)
- 4 eggs (hard-boiled and diced)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- 3/4 cup white onions (diced)
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tbs yellow mustard
- 3 tbs sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Dash of black pepper (ground)
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- Paprika (garnish)
- In a deep medium pot (with lid), place all the potatoes (skin on) and pour in enough water to submerge them and cook over high heat.
- Bring this to a boil then reduce to medium heat, cover the pot, and continue cooking at a gentle boil for 20-25 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain and rinse the potatoes with cold water until cool enough to the touch. Using paper towels remove the skin from the potatoes and cut into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, and celery, add the salt and gently toss until blended.
- To make the dressing, mix the mustard, mayonnaise, celery salt, and pickle relish together, then add the seasoned potatoes to the mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Fold in the eggs, season as desired with salt and pepper, sprinkle with paprika, and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.